(Last updated JUNE 2021)
This Privacy notice explains what information Thompson Bros (Esher) Ltd. (‘Garsons’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’) gather about you, what we use that information for, and who we give that information to. It also sets out your rights in relation to your information and who you can contact for more information or queries.
It is our policy to collect only the minimum information required from you. If you believe we have collected excessive information about you, please contact us to raise any concerns you may have.
‘Personal information' is anything that enables you to be identified or identifiable, e.g. your name, postal/email address and telephone number.
Although you do not have to provide any of your personal information to us, if we ask you to do so and you refuse, we may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you want from us.
Collection of Personal Information
Below are some examples of how you may provide personal information to us:
- Purchasing items at Garsons Garden Centres, including items purchased at Garsons Farm Shops
- Purchasing items or arranging table bookings at Restaurants ‘The Orangery Tea House at Garsons’
- Purchasing Garsons Pick Your Own Farm Passes
- Purchasing and booking tickets for Garsons events and activities
- Ordering, reserving and purchasing items such as plants, furniture, and other items by telephone
- Ordering and purchasing items such as plants, furniture, and other items to be home-delivered by us
- Viewing and browsing Garsons main website and ticketing site, our sites have cookies to capture user behaviour and navigation data
- Applying and joining our Garsons Card membership and logging into your Garsons Card profile where you will be able to view your purchase history
- Subscribing to Garsons marketing communications such as emailers
- When you engage with us on social media
- Submitting CVs or work history information
- When you enter Garsons competitions, activities, prize-giveaways etc
- Contacting us for further information
- Providing us with business cards or other contact information
- When you contact us by any means with queries, product feedback and complaints etc.
- When you fill in forms. For example, an accident health and safety form may contain your personal data you provide us with and kept on file
- Our car parks and garden centres have CCTV systems operating for security purposes. These systems may record your image during your visit. We may pass on footage or stills to a third party such as insurance companies or police if requested to do so
Use of Personal Information
When you provide personal information to us, we may use it for any of the purposes described in this Privacy notice or as stated at the point of collection (or as obvious from the context of collection), including:
1. To provide you with the items you have ordered from us
2. To deliver items using our Home Delivery Service
3. To administer and manage our website, including to understand how people use the features and functions of our website in order to improve the user experience
4. To develop our business and services
5. To conduct quality and risk management reviews
6. To monitor and enforce compliance with our policies; and/or
7. Any other purposes for which you provided the information to us, including any of the purposes given in the ‘Collection of personal information’ section above.
We do not collect personal information for sale to or use by third parties.
Legal grounds for processing Personal Information
We rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
- To perform our contractual obligations to you: To satisfy our legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information, items and services to you and in the effective and lawful operation of our businesses (where these do not interfere with your rights);
- To satisfy any legal obligations to which we are subject: (Where no other condition for processing is available) if you have agreed to us processing your personal information.
Security of Personal Information
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction.
Garsons adheres to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS).
Only authorised persons are provided access to personally identifiable information we have collected, and such individuals have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal data, the transmission of data over the internet (including by e-mail) is never completely secure.
We endeavour to protect personal data, but we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to or by us.
Sharing Personal Information
We may transfer, share or disclose the personal data we collect from you to trusted third parties for:
- The purposes for which the information has been submitted, such as the delivery of communications or purchases
- The purposes listed above under 'Use of Personal Information'
- The delivery of items you have ordered from us to you
- The administration and maintenance of our Garsons Card and website and/or
- Other internal or administrative purposes
It is our policy to share your personal information only with other organisations that are bound to maintain appropriate levels of security and confidentiality, to process personal information only as instructed by us, and to flow those same obligations down to their sub-processors.
We may share your information with trusted third-party organisations such as:
- External printing and mailing companies
- Delivery couriers
- IT companies such as our website host and developers
- Marketing software companies such as email campaign providers
- Our EPOS system provider
International transfers of Personal Information
Your personal information will not be transferred to and stored outside the country where you are located.
We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement and other government agencies as required by and/or in accordance with applicable law.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information only for as long as we need it, given the purposes for which it was collected, or as required to do so by law.
Normally, this means we will retain your personal information for 6 years. For more information please contact us; details below.
We keep personal data until a user unsubscribes or requests that we delete that information.
Where we are legally required to obtain your explicit consent to provide you with marketing materials, we will only provide you with such marketing materials if you have provided consent for us to do so.
If you opt in to any subscriptions or memberships, you will receive automated emails as confirmation. You may also receive marketing communications such as emails and or printed materials. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Rights in relation to your information
You have certain rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you have the right to:
- Request a copy of personal information we hold about you;
- Ask that we update the personal information we hold about you, or correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete;
- Ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you, or restrict the way in which we use such personal information;
- Object to our processing of your personal information; and/or
- Withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing).
If you would like to exercise these rights or understand if these rights apply to you, please contact us: https://www.garsons.co.uk/contact-us
We understand the importance of protecting children's privacy and we never knowingly collect personal information about individuals under the age of 18. Children’s activities and events may require children’s first name and occasionally age, but contact details if needed will be those of the guardian. Providing children’s data is voluntary. Data will only be kept for a limited time and will then be destroyed confidentially.
Photography or video footage will never be taken or used without first obtaining permission from whomever is responsible for the individual. A Consent & Release form will be used, to record permissions.
What are cookies? Cookies are very small, completely safe and secure text files that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application. Your web browser (e.g. Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) then sends these files back to the website or application every time you return so that your user personal settings can be recognised. Cookies are useful and help website developers and companies improve your website browsing experience. Some cookies are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features.
Other types of cookies are used to monitor and improve our website’s functionality and performance.
- Remember your settings during and between visits.
- Allow interaction between our website and social networks like Facebook.
- Gather anonymous data about our users and the way they interact with our website to serve relevant and functional content.
- Continually improve our website for you.
We do not sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
What cookies do we use on our website?
1. Anonymous analytics cookies: Whenever a user visits our website, web analytics software provided by a third party generates an anonymous analytics cookie. These help us find out whether or not you have visited our website before, how many individual unique users visit the site, what pages they look at most frequently etc. Analytics provide anonymous user behaviour information.
2. Social Website cookies: Our website allows you to ‘Like’ and share content on social media networks like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This functionality is enabled through use of third party cookies. In this case, privacy implications vary and are dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen when registering with the social media sites. Our site enables sharing through:
3. Session Cookies: Session cookies are used for users’ movement through the website. They allow you to proceed through many pages of a site quickly and easily without having to authenticate or reprocess each new area you visit. Session cookies are not stored on your computer. They expire when you close your web browser.
How you can control cookies
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies on your device, you can do this in your browser settings:
If you use a browser that is not listed above, try the “Help” section of your browser.
Tel. 01372 462261 (Esher) or 01329 844336 (Titchfield).
Post Garsons Esher: Garsons, Winterdown Road, West End, Esher KT10 8LS
Post Garsons Titchfield: Garsons Garden Centre, Fontley Road, Titchfield PO15 6QX
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted by the following means:
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate – calls to this number cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers).
Post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire
Who we are
Information collected and its use
The information we collect via the Website may include:
- Any personal details you knowingly provide us with through forms and our email, such as name, address, telephone number etc.
- In order to effectively process credit or debit card transactions it may be necessary for the bank or card processing agency to verify your personal details for authorisation outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Such information will not be transferred out of the EEA for any other purpose.
- Your preferences and use of email updates, recorded by emails we send you (if you select to receive email updates on products and offers).
- Your IP Address, this is a string of numbers unique to your computer that is recorded by our web server when you request any page or component on the Website. This information is used to monitor your usage of the Website.
We do not store any credit card details.
What we do with your information
Any personal information we collect from this website will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other applicable laws. The details we collect will be used:
- To process your order, to provide after sales service (we may pass your details to another organisation to supply/deliver products or services you have purchased and/or to provide after-sales service);
- In certain cases we may use your email address to send you information on our other products and services. In such a case you will be offered the option to opt in/out before completing your purchase.
We may need to pass the information we collect to other companies for administrative purposes. We may use third parties to carry out certain activities, such as processing and sorting data, monitoring how customers use the Website and issuing our e-mails for us. Third parties will not be allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes.
Some of the information stored is put there by other companies whose software we have added to the site, and this can also impact your experience of other websites you may visit after leaving ours.
If you continue to use this site without taking action to prevent the storage of this information, you are effectively agreeing to this use.
If you want to learn more about the general uses of cookies, including how to stop them being stored by your computer, please visit Cookiepedia - all about cookies.
Below is a list of the different types of cookies used on this site, and an explanation of what they are used for. If you would like any more information, please get in touch.
This cookie is used to keep track of what items are in a user's shopping basket.
This cookie is used to monitor the users consent for analytical cookies on our site. No user data is collected without this being enabled.
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
This cookie is used to collect information about visitor's experience of the site in terms of performance. This helps us to monitor that our systems are working quickly and effectively, and to identify any problematic areas.
You have the right to request a copy of any information that we currently hold about you. In order to receive such information please send your contact details including address to the following address:
Garsons Farm, Winterdown Road, West End, Esher, Surrey