(Last updated February 2021)
This Privacy notice explains what information Thompson Bros (Esher) Ltd. (‘Garsons’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’) gather about you, what we use that information for, and who we give that information to. It also sets out your rights in relation to your information and who you can contact for more information or queries.
We take data protection very seriously and we are committed to protecting your personal information. This Privacy Notice describes how we handle personal information collected through our website www.garsons.co.uk, this booking site www.garsons.digitickets.co.uk, and by any other means.
It is our policy to collect only the minimum information required from you. If you believe we have collected excessive information about you, please contact us to raise any concerns you may have.
‘Personal information’ is anything that enables you to be identified or identifiable, e.g. your name, postal/email address and telephone number.
In this Privacy notice, your personal information is sometimes called “personal data”. We sometimes collectively refer to handling, collecting, protecting or storing your personal information as ‘processing’.
Although you do not have to provide any of your personal information to us, if we ask you to do so and you refuse, we may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you want from us.
Collection of Personal Information
Below are some examples of how you may provide personal information to us:
- Purchasing items at Garsons Garden Centres, including items purchased at Garsons Farm Shops
- Purchasing items or arranging table bookings at Restaurants ‘The Orangery Tea House at Garsons’
- Purchasing Garson Farm Pick Your Own Farm Pass bookings
- Purchasing and booking tickets for Garsons events and activities
- Ordering, reserving, and purchasing items such as plants, furniture, and other items by telephone
- Ordering and purchasing items such as plants, furniture, and other items to be home-delivered by us
- Viewing and browsing Garsons main website and ticketing site, our sites have cookies to capture user behaviour and navigation data
- Applying and joining our Garsons Card membership and logging into your Garsons Card profile where you will be able to view your purchase history
- Subscribing to Garsons marketing communications such as emailers
- When you engage with us on social media
- Submitting CVs or work history information
- When you enter Garsons competitions, activities, prize-giveaways etc
- Contacting us for further information
- Providing us with business cards or other contact information
- When you contact us by any means with queries, product feedback and complaints etc.
- When you fill in forms. For example, an accident health and safety form may contain your personal data you provide us with and kept on file
- Our car parks and garden centres have CCTV systems operating for security purposes. These systems may record your image during your visit. We may pass on footage or stills to a third party such as insurance companies or police if requested to do so.
Use of Personal Information
When you provide personal information to us, we may use it for any of the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or as stated at the point of collection (or as obvious from the context of collection), including:
- To provide you with the items you have ordered from us
- To deliver items using our Home Delivery Service
- To administer and manage our website, including to understand how people use the features and functions of our website in order to improve the user experience
- To develop our business and services
- To conduct quality and risk management reviews
- To monitor and enforce compliance with our policies; and/or
- Any other purposes for which you provided the information to us, including any of the purposes given in the ‘Collection of personal information’ section above
We do not collect personal information for sale to or use by third parties.
Legal grounds for processing Personal Information
We rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
- To perform our contractual obligations to you: To satisfy our legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information, items and services to you and in the effective and lawful operation of our businesses (where these do not interfere with your rights)
- To satisfy any legal obligations to which we are subject: (Where no other condition for processing is available) if you have agreed to us processing your personal information
Security of Personal Information
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction.
Garsons adheres to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS).
Only authorised persons are provided access to personally identifiable information we have collected, and such individuals have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal data, the transmission of data over the internet (including by e-mail) is never completely secure.
We endeavour to protect personal data, but we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to or by us.
Sharing Personal Information
We may transfer, share or disclose the personal data we collect from you to trusted third parties for:
- The purposes for which the information has been submitted, such as the delivery of communications or purchases
- The purposes listed above under ‘Use of Personal Information’
- The delivery of items you have ordered from us to you
- The administration and maintenance of our Garsons Card and website and/or other internal or administrative purposes
It is our policy to share your personal information only with other organisations that are bound to maintain appropriate levels of security and confidentiality, to process personal information only as instructed by us, and to flow those same obligations down to their sub-processors.
We may share your information with trusted third-party organisations such as:
- External printing and mailing companies
- Delivery couriers
- IT companies such as our website host and developers
- Marketing software companies such as email campaign providers
- Our EPOS system provider
Your personal information will not be transferred to and stored outside the country where you are located. We may disclose your personal information to law enforcement and other government agencies as required by and/or in accordance with applicable law.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information only for as long as we need it, given the purposes for which it was collected, or as required to do so by law.
Normally, this means we will retain your personal information for 6 years. For more information please contact us, details below.
We keep personal data until a user unsubscribes or requests that we delete that information. If you choose to unsubscribe from our newsletter we may keep certain limited information about you so that we may honour your request.
Where we are legally required to obtain your explicit consent to provide you with marketing materials, we will only provide you with such marketing materials if you have provided consent for us to do so.
If you opt into any subscriptions or memberships, you will receive automated emails as confirmation. You may also receive marketing communications such as emails and or printed materials. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Rights in relation to your information
You have certain rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you have the right to:
- Request a copy of personal information we hold about you
- Ask that we update the personal information we hold about you, or correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete
- Ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you, or restrict the way in which we use such personal information
- Object to our processing of your personal information; and/or
- Withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing)
If you would like to exercise these rights or understand if these rights apply to you, please contact us. https://www.garsons.co.uk/contact-us
We understand the importance of protecting children's privacy and we never knowingly collect personal information about individuals under the age of 18. Children’s activities and events may require children’s first name and occasionally age, but contact details if needed will be those of the guardian. Providing children’s data is voluntary. Data will only be kept for a limited time and will then be destroyed confidentially.
Photography or video footage will never be taken or used without first obtaining permission from whoever is responsible for the individual. A Consent & Release form will be used, to record permissions.
Cookies - DigiTickets
What are cookies? A cookie is a simple text file that is stored on your computer or mobile device by a website's server and only that server will be able to retrieve or read the contents of that cookie. Each cookie is unique to your web browser. It will contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier and the site name and some digits and numbers. It allows a website to remember things like your preferences or what's in your shopping basket. You can find out more about Cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org
Cookies may be set by the website you are visiting ('first party cookies') or they may be set by other websites who run content on the page you are viewing ('third party cookies').
We don't sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
How you can manage your Cookies? The browsers of most computers, smart phones and other web-enabled devices are typically set up to accept cookies. If you wish to amend your cookie preferences for this website or any other websites, you can do this through your browser settings. Your browser's 'help' function will tell you how to do this.
However, please remember that cookies are often used to enable and improve certain functions on our website. If you choose to switch certain cookies off, it is likely to affect how our website works.
Links to other Websites. This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
Tel. 01372 462261 (Esher) or 01329 844336 (Titchfield).
Post Garsons Esher: Garsons, Winterdown Road, West End, Esher KT10 8LS
Post Garsons Titchfield: Garsons Garden Centre, Fontley Road, Titchfield PO15 6QX
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted by the following means:
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate – calls to this number cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers).
Post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire
(Last updated February 2021)
Who we are
Information collected and its use
The information we collect via the Website may include:
- Any personal details you knowingly provide us with through forms and our email, such as name, address, telephone number etc.
- In order to effectively process credit or debit card transactions it may be necessary for the bank or card processing agency to verify your personal details for authorisation outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Such information will not be transferred out of the EEA for any other purpose.
- Your preferences and use of email updates, recorded by emails we send you (if you select to receive email updates on products and offers).
- Your IP Address, this is a string of numbers unique to your computer that is recorded by our web server when you request any page or component on the Website. This information is used to monitor your usage of the Website.
- Information about your device such as your web browser, screen resolution and operating system. This information is used to ensure we continue to support the different devices used by our customers.
We do not store any credit card details.
What we do with your information
Any personal information we collect from this website will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other applicable laws. The details we collect will be used:
- To process your order, to provide after sales service (we may pass your details to another organisation to supply/deliver products or services you have purchased and/or to provide after-sales service);
- In certain cases we may use your email address to send you information on our other products and services. In such a case you will be offered the option to opt in/out before completing your purchase.
We may need to pass the information we collect to other companies for administrative purposes. We may use third parties to carry out certain activities, such as processing and sorting data, monitoring how customers use the Website and issuing our e-mails for us. Third parties will not be allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes.
Some of the information stored is put there by other companies whose software we have added to the site, and this can also impact your experience of other websites you may visit after leaving ours.
If you continue to use this site without taking action to prevent the storage of this information, you are effectively agreeing to this use.
If you want to learn more about the general uses of cookies, including how to stop them being stored by your computer, please visit Cookiepedia - all about cookies.
Below is a list of the different types of cookies used on this site, and an explanation of what they are used for. If you would like any more information, please get in touch.
This cookie is used to keep track of what items are in a user's shopping basket.
This cookie is used to monitor the users consent for analytical cookies on our site. No user data is collected without this being enabled.
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site and how they interact with the website.
This cookie is used to collect information about visitor's experience of the site in terms of performance. This helps us to monitor that our systems are working quickly and effectively, and to identify any problematic areas.
You have the right to request a copy of any information that we currently hold about you. In order to receive such information please send your contact details including address to the following address:
Garsons Farm, Winterdown Road, West End, Esher, Surrey